Alpha Delta Phi's roots at the University of Washington date back to June 1910, when a group of motivated young men formed a social organization named "The Kalevala Club." The Kalevala Club quickly distinguished itself as a leader in scholarship, athletics, and extracurricular activities, and the club quickly grew in popularity and membership.
In September 1911, the group renamed itself "Theta Chi" (no relation to the fraternity that now bears that name), and it ratified a constitution to help the group address its growth and accompanying needs. During the ensuing 9 years, Theta Chi became one of the most preeminent student organizations at the University of Washington. Several national fraternities asked Theta Chi to affiliate with their respective organizations. However, the brothers of Theta Chi were most attracted to the ideals, standards, history, and quality of brotherhood offered by Alpha Delta Phi. The brothers therefore petitioned to become a chapter of Alpha Delta Phi, and on October 29, 1921, Theta Chi became the Washington Chapter of Alpha Delta Phi.